Address not found
MapPress includes several geocoders, which are responsible for finding addresses and translating them into map coordinates. The free geocoders (Nominatim and Algolia) aren’t very accurate. If you have an address that can’t be found, try either switching to Google or using the Mapbox geocoder with Leaflet maps.
Maps look too plain
Leaflet maps are free, but the default maps are very plain and lack details. For better-looking maps, either switch to Google, or get a Mapbox access token which will enable much more detailed Mapbox map tiles for Leaflet maps.
How to get a Google API key
Please see this page to get your key: How to Get A Google Maps API Key
Map doesn’t display
Most map display problems are due to a theme or plugin conflict. Here’s how to find it:
- Disable all plugins except MapPress. If the maps are now working, re-activate one by one to find the conflicting plugin. Conflicts are often caused by “minifier” or “optimizer” plugins, or with other map plugins.
- Install and activate a standard WordPress theme, like “twenty twenty”. Check the maps again. If they’re working, there’s a theme problem. Most themes that include maps also have a setting to disable loading the Google Maps API, to prevent this kind of conflict.
Other Common Problems:
- “Minifier” or “Optimizer” plugins
- Theme missing wp_footer() call
The map container may show an error message instead of the map:
- Google Maps API key missing
Enter a Google API key in the MapPress settings screen.
- Google Maps API loaded multiple times
Try checking the setting ‘Prevent loading Google Maps multiple times’ in the MapPress settings screen, in the ‘Compatibility’ section. This may fix the problem. If not, please see the FAQ section “Plugin and Theme Conflicts”.
- Google Maps API not loaded or Leaflet library not loaded
See the section “Plugin and Theme Conflicts”.
- Underscore library not loaded or Obsolete jQuery version
Will I lose my maps when I upgrade to MapPress Pro?
No! All of your maps will continue to work. You’ll gain all the new Pro features but your existing maps are fully compatible.
Please see here: Translating MapPress
Maps not displaying inside tabs or other hidden elements
Please see here: MapPress in Tabs and Hidden Elements
I’ll be happy to help. Please contact me and let me know you’ve already taken the steps listed above. Please send everything I might need to reproduce the problem, including any error messages and a URL or screenshots illustrating the problem.