To get a Google Maps API key, you must create a Google Cloud Platform project and provide billing information.
After the project is created, generate an API key:
- Click on the +Create Credentials link in the middle of the screen.
- Select API Key
- Copy the displayed API key into your MapPress settings.
- You’re done! MapPress is ready to go.
The button above creates a project with the correct libraries. If you want to enable the libraries manually instead, go to the Library menu and enable the following APIs:
- Static Maps.
Google has additional documentation on using the cloud console here: https://developers.google.com/maps/gmp-get-started, or see the video below.
How to Get a Google Maps Server API Key
A separate server key is sometimes required if the MapPress Pro ‘geocoding’ function is being used to generate maps from custom fields, and the front-end key is restricted by referrer. Because the geocoding calls come from the server, there is no referrer, and the calls will be rejected.
In this case, either remove the referrer restriction, or create a separate server API key. The server key can be restricted by the server’s IP address instead of referrer:
- Follow the steps above to create a browser API key key
- This time, choose Restrict key and select IP addresses in the Key restriction section.
- Enter your server’s IP address