Performance

Home Forums MapPress Support Performance

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    txwinelover
    Participant

Having just gotten Mappress Pro, I’m working my way through getting it to look like I want. I am creating a mashup using custom fields (via Types) and testing it right now with only 2 POIs out of an eventual 300. I have the mashup working but am concerned with performance. With only 2 POIs I get the “Loading” message which is a few seconds. I am concerned once I get all my POIs in there it will take a lot longer. Looking at other Mappress sites, I see http://registerofprofessionalturners.co.uk/map-of-turners/ has the Loading too and it’s about the same length of time which hopefully will be true when I get all my POIs entered. However a site like http://tools.question-defense.com is a LOT faster and doesn’t have the Loading. Is that last site perhaps not using custom fields and not a mashup? I’d love to keep custom posts/fields for future ideas but if I have to have 2 areas to edit for map locations, I’ll go through the extra burden.

What do you think? Is there any way to speed up performance for mashups?

Chris
    Keymaster

Hi,

The plugin loads the maps API, reads the posts and displays them. The performance depends mostly on how long it takes to read the posts, which varies for each blog and server combination.

300 locations shouldn’t take more than a few seconds, but if you can reduce the locations displayed at once it will always be faster. For example, if you can use a category or tag to separate the big map into smaller maps.

txwinelover
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. It sounds then that the time to display isn’t totally dependent on the amount of POIs, i.e. 1 POI = 1 second, 2 POIs = 2 seconds, etc. That’s good.

I can probably make the big map into smaller maps but one thing which should help is when you get the feature added to toggle categories within the map too. 😉

I’m taking it then that the fast map I identified above is not a mashup which is why it is so fast.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.