OVER_QUERY_LIMIT

Home Forums MapPress Support OVER_QUERY_LIMIT

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    huski
    Participant

Thanks Chris for all the help setting things up for my other domain. I installed everything pretty much identical on a smaller directory site today. Strange as I am getting this error from google when trying to auto create maps, am I forgetting a step ?

map error

I can manually create maps without any errors and with the custom map_poi.php file it is formatting correctly. Also tried to create a custom field with the name address2 and assigned it within the map press settings, but coming up with the same error message. Any suggestions appreciated, thanks

Chris
    Keymaster

Hi,

The message indicates that you or someone else has exceeded the maximum number of geocoding requests per day for the server’s IP address.

There’s some info in the documentation. In general you can wait until tomorrow or get an API key so Google can track your usage (if you think it’s someone else on a shared server).

huski
    Participant

When I manually create a map, I put the address in and it pops up without a problem. Is that a different method than geocoding ?

huski
    Participant

I just put a new API key and getting the same error, strange

Chris
    Keymaster

Sorry, I misspoke: the API key is only for map views, not for geocoding requests.

Geocoding is limited to about 2,500, by IP address. The only exception is there’s a higher limit (to 100,000, I think) for Google Maps for Business accounts – but it’s very expensive.

You can also configure MapPress to use the nominatim geocoder, but in my experience the resulting geocoding quality is poor.

huski
    Participant

Does Google not use geocoding when a map is created manually? Not sure why that continues to work.

Chris
    Keymaster

When you enter a map in the map editor, it geocodes using the javascript API. That API uses the IP address of the client (your PC).

When a map is being generated on the server, it geocodes using the IP address of the server – which in this case is over the limit.

huski
    Participant

I understand now. I wonder when Google sees the ‘per day’ clock resetting, will try it at different times after midnight and into tomorrow.

If worse comes to worse will go manual on this directory, there are only a few hundred maps to create.

Thanks again.

huski
    Participant

Thanks, Chris

Working now (patience sold separately)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.