Mashup of Maps only

Home Forums MapPress Support Mashup of Maps only

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rainmaster
    Participant

Hi Chris,
    I have been using your Mappress plugin for a long time and continue to find new uses for it. Thank you!

I searched this forum but could not find a specific answer to my question which may be obvious as I am pretty green with queries and such.

Is there a way to show a mashup of just maps by id or title? I know that a normal mashup is just a WP archive but was wondering if there is way to query with [map=”2″] ? example: [map=”1,2″] which didn’t work?

I think this would be super as it would not be post-dependant.

Rainmaster
    Participant

Oops, forgot the notification box.

Chris
    Keymaster

Hi,

You’re right, there is no way to show a mashup of maps by map ID (all maps for all selected posts are displayed). However, you can do a mashup for specific posts, for example:

[mashup query="post__in=1,2,3"]

If you use this, note the two underscores in ‘post__in’.

Rainmaster
    Participant

Thanks Chris!
    I think the less posts the better.

In your experience how may posts (with a map) does a site have before it slows down or mysql database gets too big? How about 2,000 or so?

I know server, caching, etc. matter but just a best case guess?

Do you recommend a caching program for WP for this?

Thank you so much for your time, I learned a lot here.

Chris
    Keymaster

Hi,

There should be no impact from having many thousands of posts with a map – if you display the maps one at a time. But if you try to show all of the posts on the same mashup you’ll see a slowdown.

I would say for mashups it’s best to limit the query to a few hundred posts, although it’ll depend on your server, etc. You can avoid this by using the ‘posts_per_page’ argument in the mashup query to set the maximum posts to be read.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.