Map is empty after migrating entire WP site

Home Forums MapPress Support Map is empty after migrating entire WP site

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    invisionstudios
    Participant

I migrated an entire site from a staging server to another server (zip up files, export database, then copy files + import database on new site). The rest of the site is working fine, but the MapPress map is blank, with no POIs showing, and the map lost its title (now saying “untitled” in the edit page of the containing page.

The only other thing I did was a search + replace in the database to change the URLS to match the new server.

I looked at the data in the MySQL, both site’s tables appear identical.

What am I missing?

invisionstudios
    Participant

A related question: is it possible to copy the contents (POIs) of a map from one site to another?

Also should mention the [3] (map id) is showing up on the new site in front of the “untitled” name.

Chris
    Keymaster

Hi,

The plugin doesn’t support copying.

You can copy the database tables (which I think you did?). But the data is stored as serialized strings, which include both the string length and the string itself. If you do a search & replace on the URLs it’ll corrupt the data.

I think there are some ‘safe search and replace’ plugins that can be used to address this and safely replace the URLs in serialized data.

Here’s a link to one of them:

http://interconnectit.com/products/search-and-replace-for-wordpress-databases/

invisionstudios
    Participant

Shouldn’t I be able to copy the raw data from the obj field of the wp_mapppress_maps table from one site and paste it into the other?

invisionstudios
    Participant

I also tried exporting the wp_mappress_maps table and importing it into the new site, still doesn’t work.

invisionstudios
    Participant

3rd time’s a charm. By exporting the wp_mappress_maps table & importing into new db everything’s working. I’ll try your search and replace tool as well. Thanks. Great support, as always.

Protospace
    Participant

I’m having problem importing a map at all… I can export it, but I get either a SQL error on import (using the same version of PHP to export/import) or the import succeeds and the map remains blank. Mapppress seems to be emptying it out after the rebuild.

Chris
    Keymaster

Hi,

The plugin won’t erase or empty the tables if they exist, so it could be there’s an error in the SQL export/import process.

Once you get the tables imported, check that the tables exist and there is data in them (using a tool like phpmyadmin). There are two tables:

1. mappress_maps
    2. mappress_posts

Mappress_maps contains the map data. Mappress_posts links the map IDs to post ID.

If the new blog has different post IDs than the old one, you’ll need to edit mappress_posts to link the maps to the correct post(s).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.