Custom fields for automatic map generation

Home Forums MapPress Support Custom fields for automatic map generation

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    myrana
    Participant

Hi, I just purchased the Pro version and am working my way through the automatic map generation process. I have about 300 posts that already have street address, city, state and zip fields filled out, but apparently that is not enough to auto-generate a map. I am trying to figure out how to meet this requirement:

To use this feature, create custom fields for street address, title, body, and icon ID. Select the fields on the MapPress settings screen in the ‘Geocoding’ section and save the settings.

Without, ideally, going into each post and figuring out a title, body and icon ID entry and manually entering that information. I am also not clear on what each of these should be, particularly the body and icon ID. Any recommendations? Thank you!

Chris
    Keymaster

Hi,

Actually, you only need an ‘address’ field (or a ‘lat’ and ‘lng’ field), so the plugin can determine the post location. The title and icon will default if you don’t set them.

I’ll update the documentation to make this clear.

myrana
    Participant

Hi Chris,
    Thank you for your swift response! So with those fields filled in, I am still not seeing maps. For “Basic Settings” I have selected the custom post type “Chamber Members”, automatic display is “Bottom of Post”, Directions “Google”. Is there something I need to do to cause initial generation of the maps, or a line of code I should insert in my single post display template? I have customized these templates, so it may be that I’ve inadvertently eliminated some necessary piece of code?
    Thanks again!

Chris
    Keymaster

Hi,

Before working with the templates, check that you can see the generated maps in the WP post editor. Maps are generated when a post is saved or published and they’ll be named ‘automatic’.

For example, assuming you have a custom field called ‘address’, here’s the basic steps:
    1. Go the the MapPress settings. In the ‘geocoding’ section set the map field ‘address’ to your custom field ‘address’
    2. Edit an existing post
    3. In the post, set custom field ‘address’ to the value ‘NY’
    4. Publish the post

You should now see a map called ‘automatic’ in the post. If you do not, check if there’s an entry in custom field ‘mappress_error’ (the plugin writes geocoding errors there).

myrana
    Participant

Hi Chris,
    Figured it out! I will need to update each post for the map to appear. This is not a problem as the site is in the early development stages and I will need to go through and add some additional data anyway. So — thank you!

Chris
    Keymaster

Hi,

I think we crossed posts, I’m glad you figured it out.

If you need to bulk publish existing posts, you can do it from the post list on the WP admin screen: in the ‘screen options’ dropdown, enter the number of posts you want to see. Select all the posts, click ‘edit’ in bulk actions, and then press the ‘update’ button.

myrana
    Participant

Thank you! I’ve never had occasion to use that function before — good to know! I really appreciate your help and quick responses!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.