certain custom posts not showing on mashup

Home Forums MapPress Support certain custom posts not showing on mashup

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    James Proctor
    Participant

Chris, we fixed my earlier problem just fine, but I’m now discovering a lingering problem on the same pages. These portfolio pages (example here) exhibit a mashup map of all regular/custom posts the student selects, and things generally work fine except for certain custom post types. The only similarity I can see is that their name includes a hyphen, which I learned a bit late in the game is not recommended (e.g., see here). Otherwise, I’ve checked the post ID string I pass to MapPress and all IDs are fine, and I’ve even checked the SQL MapPress tables and all referenced IDs are fine there as well. Do you suspect that a post type name such as “user-concentration” or “situated-themes” could cause trouble on the MapPress end, but a name such as “post” or “research” would not? That’s my best guess at this point, and it’s a bit gnarly at this point to rename the custom post types so I’m hoping you have a solution. (Still on 2.39.7 Pro, btw; will update soon.)

Many thanks,

Jim P.

Chris
    Keymaster

Hi Jim,

It does seem the hyphens can cause problems, there are a few mentions in the WordPress TRAC (Bug) database too.

For something like this, I suggest you just print out the results of your query using a PHP echo statement first.  That will at narrow down whether this has anything to do with MapPress or if it’s just a query issue.

Assume your the query you normally use is in $query, you could put this in your template:

<?php 
      $wpq = new WP_Query($query);
      print_r($wpq);
    ?>

MapPress adds a few extra parameters.  If you want to compare the above query to how MapPress runs it, try adding this too:

<?php 
      $query = "map=true&post_type=any&cache_results=false" . $query;
      $wpq = new WP_Query($query);
      print_r($wpq);
    ?>
    James Proctor
    Participant

Thanks, Chris! Your reply prompted me to look at another place in the template code, and indeed my workaround from the previous problem (in that I now on this template specify post_type by listing each) became the problem this time around…now it’s fixed, and had nothing to do with hyphenated custom post types.

Cheers,

Jim

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.