Problem with setting slugs

Home Forums TurboCSV Support Problem with setting slugs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ckrauskopf
    Participant

I saw another thread on problems with the post slug/post-name field.

http://mappresspro.com/forums/topic/format-for-slug

Mine seems to be a different issue, so I’m starting a new thread.  The post name is not updating on my production site.  I built the csv file and tested it on a local install of wordpress 3.4 and also 3.5.  It worked fine in both cases.  I wanted to update about 85 posts of a custom post type so all the slugs are already set.  And all of the other fields were successfully updated except for the post name.  Title, content, date, and Yoast SEO custom fields worked fine.  I tried uploading it again, and I tried renaming the column and then remapping the the connection between post-name and my new column.  No luck.

I assume this must be either a server configuration issue or a plugin conflict since everything worked fine on my local site.  Are there any known conflicts?  Any other ideas?  I’d be happy to send you my upload file but not sure where to send it.

Thanks,

Chris Krauskopf

Chris
    Keymaster

Hi Chris,

There are no known issues with updating post names (slugs).  I just tried it myself using a column called !post_name in the input file and it worked fine for me.

I’m assuming you know that only the last part of the slug is editable (i.e. just the part after the last ‘/’ in the URL)?  It works work the same way as it does in the WordPress post editor.

Other than that, I can only suggest some basic things:

1) Update to the latest TurboCSV

2) Disable all of your other plugins and switch to a standard theme (2012) before importing

If that doesn’t help, feel free to use the contact form to email me directly with a login to the blog and I’ll take a look for you.

ckrauskopf
    Participant

Hi Chris,

Yes – I do know it’s just the last part of the url controlled by the slug.  For whatever reason that last part is just not updating.  It’s not practical at the moment to change themes and disable all plugins, I’d rather save that as a last resort.  We want to avoid site downtime at all costs since there are visitors worldwide and there’s really never a good time to do it.

Interestingly, after upgrading to the new version of the plugin my next try failed halfway through the update due to lack of available memory.  I never got an error message of any kind before, I just had the post_name fail to update with no notification.  I’m sending you my credentials through the form, and I would really appreciate it if you could take a look before we go to the trouble of disableing everything – or would that not give you enough info to figure anything out?

Either way I just wanted to post the memory issue here in the public forum and ask if you think perhaps the low blog memory could have contributed to that particular field not updating.

Thanks so much for the quick help,

Chris

Chris
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sure, I’ll be happy to give it a look.

I don’t think low memory could cause a particular field to not update, but it can definitely halt the import.  Each plugin loaded uses up memory so it’s easy to run out.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.