Hierarchical Categories (Selection)

Home Forums TurboCSV Support Hierarchical Categories (Selection)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    yellowhousedesign
    Participant

Hey Chris,

When setting up hierarchical categories for the import — all of the parent categories are selected — is there any way to select the last mentioned category?

“CA|San Mateo|94112” –> only select 94112

Thanks.

Chris
    Keymaster

Hi,

As a workaround, you could probbly create the categories first and then only import the bottom category (94112).

I don’t think there’s any difference in functionality between checking all the boxes and just the bottom one, except how the boxes are displayed on the screen; in both cases the post is considered ‘assigned’ to all the categories.

Is that correct?

Still, the plugin should probably only select the bottom category, since that’s how WP does it if you edit the post manually.

I’ll take a look at it later today and provide an update if it’s a quick fix.  I’ll also try add the image URL feature you requested.

yellowhousedesign
    Participant

Hey Chris,

Eh – I’m not sure if they are “technically” assigned to every category if the parents are selected or not — so a patch would definitely be welcome for that. Thanks again for the quick responses!

Chris
    Keymaster

Hi, just wanted let you know I’ve emailed you version 2.46, with those changes included.

yellowhousedesign
    Participant

Hey Chris – thanks for pushing out those updates so quickly. Just a quick question before I go crazy here 🙂 is the image URL addition just for ‘featured images’? Ideally this would be for any type of field (if you could specify it with some type of prepended character possibly to let TurboCSV know it’s an image) for custom fields as well. As is the case with ACF or honestly any field plugins nowadays, you’re not limited to just one image for a post/page, etc. And while maybe not needed for now (unless it’s a pretty easy addition as the functionality is in other areas of TurboCSV) the ability to specify multiple image URLs and /or IDs for an image field would be great for repeater fields (again – not just in ACF — is possible in many field plugins nowadays). Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Chris
    Keymaster

Hi,

The change is just for featured images, since that’s the only place in standard WordPress where an attachment ID is used.

I don’t plan to make any further changes at the moment but if you’d like to explain a little more and I’ll take a look again when I have some time.

To clarify: are you asking for multiple image attachment IDs to be saved to a custom field?

I’m assuming you mean a ‘normal’ custom field,  since I think you discovered already that ACF prohibits any kind of background import into its special field types.  Is that correct?

If so, can you give an example of your input data and how you’d expect to see it in the database wp_postmeta table?

yellowhousedesign
    Participant

Hi Chris,

Thanks for clarifying. Yes – I was referring to exactly what you are saying — so the data could/would be:

image1.jpg,image2.jpg,image3.jpg

which would return the attachment IDs for each of the images (for example, the above would return 123,124,125). Let me know if that clarifies things. Thanks!

yellowhousedesign
    Participant

Hey Chris,

Did my last message make sense? Ideally – if the filename convention (and/or multiple filenames; comma-separated) could be figured out for custom fields — this sounds like it could also enhance other areas. For example, if you are importing a CSV to update posts — it’d be awesome if you could specify a post title instead of ID (using the same logic – if it finds two posts with the same name, use the first it finds) and pull that over to custom fields as well (specifically in my use-case for ACF, but other Custom Field plugins like Easy Custom Post Types http://codecanyon.net/item/easy-custom-content-types-for-wordpress/234182 could also benefit as well). Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Chris
    Keymaster

Hi, yes it made sense, and thanks for the input.  Having multiple-image URL searching isn’t something I plan to implement right now.  But if other users also request it I’ll take another look.

I understand your idea about using post title as a key.  The plugin doesn’t support that, as you know.  But you also don’t have to use post ID either – you can upload any key you like (part #, VIN, etc) to a custom field and search by that.

yellowhousedesign
    Participant

Ah – thanks for pointing out the variable key that we can set. That gets me 50% there – but if I need to reference other posts (for example, if ACF is storing the postIDs from its relationship field), I’d only be able to use the postIDs, not the names (for example). Right?

Chris
    Keymaster

Yes, for your ACF implementation you’ll need to provide the IDs.  The ID in TurboCSV is only used to determine which post to update.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.