Custom Fields not recognised…again

Home Forums TurboCSV Support Custom Fields not recognised…again

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    HDaniell
    Participant

I posted yesterday about TurboCSV not recognising some custom fields. I thought I had made a mistake by not scrolling down to the end of the custom fields list.  But as it turns out there really is a problem in getting TurboCSV (and Map Press Pro) to see custom fields created by the Types-Custom Field plugin.

Today I created 2 more Types custom fields and now these aren’t recognised by the CSVTurbo or by MapPress (they are supposed to be the Map Press import fields) and I’m not just not seeing them. I’ve tried to figure out what I did yesterday to make the other fields “seen” by TurboCSV but I can’t seem to figure it out.

Any help would be great!
    Thanks.

Chris
    Keymaster

Hi,

The first thing to check is that you’ve actually created a post with the custom field you want to import. In WordPress, a custom field doesn’t really ‘exist’ until you create at least one post with that field.

Try creating one dummy post with the custom field(s) you want to import and saving/publishing it before you run TurboCSV, and see if that makes the fields appear in the list.

Also, TurboCSV can only access ‘normal’ WordPress custom fields. Some custom fields plugins use their own custom database tables and TurboCSV won’t be able to import data to those fields.

You can check by seeing if your custom fields are available in the WordPress post editor. Fields that start with an underscore are hidden, but any other custom field should be visible (and editable) in the editor ‘custom fields’ meta box. You can enable that meta box using the ‘screen options’ button in the upper-right.

For TurboCSV to be able to import the custom fields, you must be able to see them in the ‘custom fields’ metabox even when your custom fields plugin is disabled.

MTCreations
    Participant

OK, jumping in on this same issue, I did the ‘create a dummy record’ , and LO, the fields now appear in the bottom mapping area.

HOWEVER, after the first one is mapped, and you click ‘add more’, the dropdown shows the choices BUT when you select anything, the field remains blank, so you can’t map any fields past the first one.

This is not good. Please advise.

Chris
    Keymaster

Hi,

I couldn’t reproduce your (new) issue – I just tried. But I’m not sure I really understood the description.

Can you send a screenshot – or a login – and an explanation of exactly what you’re clicking on? You can use the contact form if you like and I’ll reply.

Also:
    – What browser are you using?
    – What version of TurboCSV are you using?
    – Are you trying to map custom fields on a new import or one that already ran?

MTCreations
    Participant

firefox latest.

turbo v243

new import.

I don’t know how to explain it any better, and I don’t know how to email you a screenshot. Please advise.

Chris
    Keymaster

Version 2.44 is the current version, and it contains a fix for selection from dropdowns in Firefox. Please try that version and let me know if it doesn’t work for you.

MTCreations
    Participant

no, still does not work with Firefox.

But, seeing as this was a browser error I switched to chrome for this task, and it did work.

ok then.

Chris
    Keymaster

Thanks for letting me know. I wasn’t initially able to replicate the issue in Firefox – apparently it doesn’t occur when Firebug is open – but I think I’ve fixed it now.

The fix is included in the latest version, 2.45. If you’d like to switch back to Firefox, please let me know if it works for you.

MTCreations
    Participant

logged in to my account, no downloads listed at all (current or past). LOL.

Chris
    Keymaster

Holy cow! Try again, should be there now.

yellowhousedesign
    Participant

Referencing this and others I’ve seen on the forum, a developer had created a script that allowed TurboCSV to handle Advanced Custom Fields just fine — unfortunately it’s throwing up some errors right now.

http://builtbydavid.com/2011/custom-fields-fix-for-importing-custom-post-data-with-turbo-csv-for-management-with-advance-custom-fields/

Chris – I think this would be valuable enough to give a quick-look at to determine if this is a good solution (and if you have any tweaks to make that work – used to, but currently not in WP 3.4). Would be a great addition to the docs adding support for ACF which has been downloaded hundreds of thousands of times 🙂

Thanks!

Chris
    Keymaster

Hi, this thread is becoming pretty confusing.

The original issue posted was because no post had been created containing the custom fields.

@MTCreations
    then commented on the “same” issue, but it was in fact unrelated – that was a javascript error in Firefox that prevented selecting a custom field in the dropdown list.

Neither issue had anything to do with incompatibility with ACF.

yellowhousedesign
    Participant

Hi Chris,

Sorry for the confusion there. http://mappresspro.com/forums/topic/advanced-custom-fields-repeater-field is the more relevant forum topic about ACF in general. Thanks.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.